Imagine lush green hills rolling into the worlds most majestic mountain range, Alps, and you get Switzerland. Switzerland is not just a land of chocolate and army knives. It is a land of so much beauty, but beauty does come with a price. This is one of the worlds most expensive countries and it can be seen everywhere. Even the taxis are really nice cars.
Don’t let the price scare you, because there are still amazing things to do in this country. There is a mixture of city life and rural escape which draws everybody. The little mountain towns hold such glamor, while the big cities have a modern touch on everything. Switzerland is a land of experiences, and many people want to experience them all.
Top Things to Do
- Adventure Sports – Interlaken is any adventure sports dream. High in the mountains one can cliff jump, canyon, white water raft, and mountain climb. There is also amazing hiking nearby in the Alps. Interlaken is a romantic little swiss town with so much charm.
- Lucern – Spend a day or two in the most stereotypical swiss town. Lucern is a lakeside town that has historic bridges and many viewpoints into the swiss alps. Enjoy a cup of coffee while reading a book next to the lake. Life doesn’t get much better than that.
- Matterhorn – Experience one of the most breathtaking mountains in the world. Take the train which almost has to go vertical to see it. It is a mountain all other mountains wish they were.
- Hike – No matter where you are in the country, there seems to be world class hiking. Get out and smell the fresh air by exploring this country by foot. The scenes are majestic and every turn will leave you breathless.
- Ski – If you time it right there are some amazing little ski resorts in even more amazing towns. Not only do you get world class skiing, these resorts are in some of the best little towns in the country.
- Eat Chocolate – Anywhere in the world you hear about swiss chocolates. It would be shame to not experience this first hand. Join a group that gives a chocolate tour and if you are lucky you may even get the chance to make it yourself!
- Ride the train – There are many places I tell people to ride the train and look at the scenery. In Switzerland, this cannot be more true. Every train ride you take will be an adventure. Ride through the mountains and into the valleys. Trains here do not require a book or movie, just your two eyes and a window.
No food really comes to mind when I speak about Switzerland besides chocolate and cheese. Lets be honest, what else do you need? Have at least one splurge meal of a fondue set. This will not be cheap, but hopefully it would be worth it.
The last time I was in Switzerland price was an issue. Stay at a resort that has a kitchen to cook your own meals or have a large lunch and a small dinner.
Overall Country Cost – $$$$ (1/4)
Hostels – $25 – $40 USD per person
3 Star Hotel – $120 – $300 USD
Breakfast – $3 – $10
Lunch – $8 – $25
Dinner – $10 – $50
Adventure Tour – Fly into Zurich and spend a few days enjoying the lake and the contemporary architecture. Next take a train to Lucerne to explore the old time charm of the city. Next, head to Interlaken where your adventures may begin. Warm up with a hike in the region. Next book a canyoning trip where you jump down cliffs into Alp’s melt water. After that, either take a nice relaxing jump out of a plane over the alps or ride down them this time with a raft. Once you have all your adrenaline gone, go see Jungfraujoch mountain and hike around it. Next, hop on a train with an amazing view and head to the Matterhorn. Once you are done with that either get ready to fly home or explore all the other quant little mountain towns in the Alps.
Lonely Planet, “Switzerland”