If you want to experience a magical place with so much rich culture and history, this is your spot. It is one of the main superpowers of Europe and also one of the cultural hubs. Amazing beer, tasty meat dishes, and ancient architecture/history and the main things to see here. This is slowly changing with the new and hip Berlin popping up into the mainstream travel destination.
The great thing about Germany is that is has something for everybody. If you want to learn about the history and visit museums and castles it has it. If you want to spend the day in a beer garden and night in a crazy 4 story club, it has it. You do not hear about too many bad things coming from other travelers mouths about this country. Thus, it has earned my gold standard for traveling!
Top Things to Do
- Free walking tour – Most of the large cities (Munich, Berlin, Frankfort) all have free walking tours. The great thing about this, is that you can learn about the culture at the same time getting your bearings for a new city. It is customary to tip the guide at the end. This could be a few euros or up to ten. Depending on your budget, tip accordingly.
- Spend a day in the Beer Hall – Germany is known for their beer halls. Everywhere you go, there seems to be a park or hall dedicated to the amazing liquid called beer. This is a great way to take a break for the afternoon, or spend the entire day. Make sure to grab a pretzel to help the beer go down.
- Berlin – Berlin is transforming before our eyes. There is so much rich history with Berlin and the world wars. Go learn about the old during the day, and see the new at night. Berlin is growing as the clubbing capital of Europe with many unique nightlife destinations. Ask a local where the best place to go for a certain night and head there!
- Octoberfest – Plan your trip to head to Munich for the worlds largest beer festival. Make sure to plan your trip early as hotels get booked up fast! Just know, prices usually increase during this time of the year, but it a bucket list item everyone should have on their list.
- See Castles – Germany has some of the worlds best castles. I recommend doing a day trip from Munich and checking out Neuschwanstein Castle. It is the most pictures castle up on a ridge overlooking everywhere around it. There is also a waterfall close by. It is the stuff that only Disney himself could dream up, but it is real life.
- Explore Frankfurt – This is the financial capital of the country along with an amazing Old Town Center. Check out the Senckenburg Museum, Museum of Modern Arts, and take a free walking tour of the city!
If you are in the need of some good comfort food full of meats and potatoes, you are researching the right country. Sausages that literally melt in your mouth, pretzels the size of your head, and schnitzel so tender you can cut it with your fork.
Some of my favorite places to eat were the beer gardens. They always serve some type of amazing meat that goes great with the beer. Bratwurst and sausages are always a good pair.
Overall Country Cost – $$ (2/4)
Hostels – $15 – $30 USD per person
3 Star Hotel – $100 – $200 USD
Breakfast – $3 – $10
Lunch – $5 – $12
Dinner – $5 – $25
Fly into Frankfort and spend a few days adjusting in this large and global city. Eat some contemporary German cuisine while taking in the hustle and bustle of this large city. Next, take a train to Berlin. Go learn about the history of this city with a free walking tour. Do not miss out on checking out the remaining portion of the wall and save some energy for the crazy nightlife. Next, head down to Bavaria (Munich area) to check out the beer culture and the amazing castles and forests of Germany.