Antigua to Santa Ana Trip
Bus 1: Antigua, Guatemala to Escuintla, Guatemala. (Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes, Cost: 8 Quetzals)
Bus 2: Escuintla, Guatemala to La Frontera Note: You may have to change to a different bus in Chiquimulila. (Time: 3-4 hours, Cost: 50 Quetzals)
***Cross the border to El Salvador. People will say it is too far to walk, it is not. Walk the 1 km and find the bus station to the right.
Bus 3: El Salvador Border to Sonsonate (Time: 2 hours, Cost: $0.90 USD)
Bus 4: Sonsonate, El Salvador to Santa Ana, El Salvador Note: There are two buses that go here from this terminal. Take the one that does not go to Cerro Verde. It will save so much time (Time: 1.5 hours, Costs: $1 USD)
It took a total of 11 hours with wait time.
$10.1 USD which is cheap compared to the $20-$25 for a shuttle.
- The buses in Guatemala may overcharge. Know the prices before you go and argue if the price is a lot more.
- In El Salvador the buses have numbers and the prices are listed above the driver.
- You may have to pay more for the backpacks if they take up seats. If traveling with more than two people, use only two chairs and pay for two seats.
- Bring snacks. A lot of the buses do not have wait times between. Be prepared.
- At the transfers, the people are really nice and there are a lot of people that want to help you! Just ask.
- Ask a local what the price should be when you get on the bus. This will help you from not overpaying. I almost got charged double, but I asked the guy next to me.
Taking local transport can be stressful, but it is very affordable. Traveling is an adventure, so make the most out of it. Do you really want to see a country from a shuttle???